Quilt Retreat

As I mentioned yesterday, I spent the weekend at a quilting retreat away from the city. It was great to spend time with old and new friends, and make some new acquaintances. Not only did I have hours of uninterrupted time to work on my own projects, I was also able to get advice from others (and vice versa) and be totally inspired by the projects of others.

Today I'll share the projects I was working on, and later in the week I'll share what others were working on.


Remember the purple and orange placemats I made for my girls? The table is now complete with the addition of a blue and a green placemat for Mr. Prairie and myself! (Front and back sides shown above). I used only leftover/scrap fabrics for both of these.


I also made progress on my colourful Irish Chain quilt that I started at last year's retreat--I've assembled more than half of the blocks now. It's fairly time consuming to be random in the piecing! I had some very positive feedback on my progress, and I'm still really liking the colour combinations. I set it aside after last year's retreat so I could work on my daughter's purple quilt, and now it's time for a project for me.


I also had help in arranging the strip pieced blocks that were made by my quilt group for a challenge last year. I decided on making one child size quilt using all the blocks in a random pattern. It was kind of like doing a sudoku puzzle, trying not to have the same colours touching or grouped together too closely! I've got the squares sewn together in rows, now I need to sew the rows together.

The weekend felt very productive, even though when I look back on these photos, it doesn't seem like that much. The photos don't reflect how much time everything takes when you are piecing!

Comments

Popular Posts