Instagram Bookbinding Challenge: March / Time


I've been participating in an online bookbinding community challenge, where each month bookmakers from around the world challenge themselves to create a book on a chosen theme for the month. The theme for March was Time. If you are on Instagram, search the hashtag #areyoubookenough to find all the amazing creations of participating artists. Prepare yourself to be inspired!

Here's my entry for March:



In an age of fast fashion, fast food, and instant gratification, I wanted to do something that was all about slow process and old supplies. 



Using only materials that I had on hand, I laid out some patchwork cotton fabric pieces on a muslin foundation, and slowly stitched them together #Borostitchstyle. 




I used beautiful rayon threads that I found at a thrift shop ages ago. 



The colours were brighter than I wanted my finished book to be, so I tea dyed the patchwork to age and dull the colours. This worked really well.



I soaked the patchwork piece overnight in the tea bath.



I used another tea dyed vintage linen on the inside of the cover. 



The pages are also slow--handmade papers made locally @botanicalpaperworks and sourced at my local @artsjunktion .

Thanks for stopping by, and don't forget to check out the hashtag #AreYouBookEnough on Instagram to be delighted and inspired by other makers around the world!

Comments

Popular Posts