How Much is 1000 Metres?

Making coiled mats and baskets has proven to be highly addictive for me. It's such a challenge to take a piece of fabric, especially the ugliest fabrics, and make something useful and beautiful from it.


When I first started making coiled items, I purchased 100 metres of cording. That was enough to let me experiment a little, and see if this was something I liked working with. Turns out I did like making coiled items, and inquired at my local shop if I could buy a whole roll of cording. One roll held 1000 yards, which was about 923 metres. I recently finished up my first roll and started on my second, so I thought it would be interesting to see what 1000 metres of cording can make.


It can make this many round coiled mats:



This many oval coiled mats:



This many coiled coaster sets:



Plus all these baskets:



Wow. That really goes a long way! Looking back, it's amazing to see how many coiled items I've made. And I have ideas for so many more! What do you think I should try next?

Comments

  1. Is this the same technique described in the book "It's a Wrap!"? I have this book and someday soon hope to attempt a project from it. Where did you buy your cording? annesimonot@sasktel.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Anne this is the same technique. It's a good book to learn from and then make your own changes once you know the basics.

      Delete
  2. lol... WOW That is unreal!! Good for you for documenting all that. That rocks. : )

    ~Monika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monika! Have you ever thought of saving your thread spools and seeing how many you use up in a year?

      Delete
  3. That's really cool! And a great document of how far you've come and how far you'll go. Make sure to tell us when you hit 5000.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, Tawny, now I'm going to have to sew in my sleep as well!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you've stopped by! I'd love to hear your response, so please add your comments here! I try to respond to all comments--some by email and some here on the blog.

Popular Posts