National Scrabble Day

Today's word is S-C-R-A-B-B-L-E, to coincide with National Scrabble Day. Scrabble is one of my personal favourite games, and the board always gets hauled out when my family gets together. I'm not the only one who loves Scrabble--apparently one in three homes in North America has the game.


Scrabble has been around for about 65 years, first invent by Alfred Mosher Butts, an out-of-work architect. For a complete history of the game, see the Scrabble website. I would love to see an original game sometime--the letters were hand drawn and glued to balsa squares, and the boards were hand drawn and printed blueprints, glued on checker boards.

Because the game has been around so long, there are lots of old and damaged games, often with missing pieces, available in thrift shops. I reuse the boards for journals. I have one Scrabble Journal left in my shop, and it's featured today in this Scrabble themed treasury:

'Scrabble, anyone?' by vanoraletterpress

April 13th is National Scrabble Day, so get your game on! Until then, be inspired by this scrabble-tastic items.


What The What Sign ...
$16.00

Custom Black and Si...
$12.99

Custom Print of the...
$15.00

I love my pet Perso...
$12.00

Vintage SCRABBLE Le...
$19.50

London Calling in U...
$16.00

Honey, Sugar, Bees ...
$20.00

LARGE- 5.5"x5....
$22.80

Customised Scrabble...
$3.50

Scrabble Journal 03...
$25.00

Vintage Scrabble Ti...
$4.95

Hebrew Scrabble til...
$10.50

Scrabble Board Game...
$28.00

Beer Heart Scrabbl...
$15.00

Scrabble Tile Wine ...
$40.00

Scrabble Geek Monog...
$15.00

Comments

  1. oh gee, I don't know how you can bear to cut those boards up. : ) They are so vintage, but we still use them : )

    I HEART SCRABBLE! Too bad my household is full of crappy spellers. ; )

    ~Monika

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not that hard to make those cuts since the games are already damaged or missing pieces. Those crappy spellers just need to exude confidence when they put down a (made-up) word and give its definition! Or is that cheating?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you've stopped by! I'd love to hear your response, so please add your comments here! I try to respond to all comments--some by email and some here on the blog.

Popular Posts