On My Work Table

Here's what I'm working on these days:


 My eldest daughter, S, has decided it is time to redecorate her room. By the end of summer, gone will be the pink walls and curtains, and the Noah's Ark quilt I made for her when she was only 2! If she has her way, the walls will be a dark purple (eggplant? plum?), and she has made a special request for a new quilt.

To get her thinking of what quilt design she would like, I had her look at a Kaffe Fassett book I have, Glorious Patchwork, and she immediately decided on the quilt on the cover! She knows what she likes. Because this red quilt was only a small window covering, I enlarged the pattern on graph paper to fit a twin size bed.


It looks quite random, but there is actually quite a bit of organization to get all the blocks to fit together! I'm working with purples, greens, and blues, and in a fairly random manner, cutting strips without measuring and mixing the colours all up. All the fabric is in a big bin, and I choose a few fabrics, without too much analyzing, for each square as I go along. Some are quite bold and busy, and there are a few novelty fabrics thrown in, all with the approval of my 13 year old.


I've finished making all the larger blocks (12", 10", and 8") and now have many many small blocks to sew! Here are some of the finished blocks, in no particular order:


My goal is to have the top pieced by the end of the summer, and then decide if I will send it out to someone with a longarm machine to have it quilted.

Comments

  1. Laura,
    What a great quilt and what a lucky daughter! Let her know my bedroom walls were a medium shade of purple all through high school, so she is not alone. Hmmm, I think you've inspired me to finally do another blog post. It has been too long.

    Can't wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you've stopped by! I'd love to hear your response, so please add your comments here! I try to respond to all comments--some by email and some here on the blog.

Popular Posts