Sunday, March 7

Crazy Quilt

It all started with a visit to the Western Development Museum in Saskatoon with my sister, Karen, 2 years ago. There was an antique crazy quilt on display, and Karen said how much she'd always wanted to make a crazy quilt. The quilt was similar to this one, taken from the book Mennonite Quilts and Pieces by Judy Schroeder Tomlonson:


Our frugal ancestors were able to use every scrap of fabric in this type of quilt, and injected a bit of their own personality with the embroidery embellishments. The quilts were often a mixture of velvets and satins and wools as nothing went to waste.

Fast forward a few months, and I was looking for a quilting project that required handwork. I do most of my quilting by machine, so needed something to work on at my quilting group's monthly meetings. I decided to start a crazy quilt of my own, in the tradition of my ancestry, using a lot of fabrics that you wouldn't normally find in a quilt. I'm piecing the scraps to a foundation fabric by machine, then adding the embroidery. I'm not very far along, as I don't work on it much outside of my quilting group. Here's the start of mine, I still plan on adding a lot more embroidery to it to liven it up:


At the same time, Karen has done some crazy quilting of her own. She made this needlecase and scissor case for our other sister for a Christmas gift this past year:


She used wonderfully bright fabrics and went crazy with the embroidery. Isn't it great to have a big sister to inspire you? And isn't Donna the lucky one?

1 comment:

  1. My big sister isn't creative - but she is inspiring.

    Can't wait to see your completed crazy quilt.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you've stopped by! I'd love to hear your response, so please add your comments here! I try to respond to all comments--some by email and some here on the blog.